Table of contents:
- How to remove a greasy stain from a jacket
- How to remove old greasy stains from clothes
- How to remove a greasy stain from jeans
- How to remove greasy stains without washing
- How to remove greasy stains on a down jacket
Oil or gasoline can leave permanent marks on the fabric. In this article, we'll show you how to remove greasy stains at home.
To remove a greasy stain, you will need affordable products that are found in almost every home. We have collected the most effective ways to quickly get rid of oily dirt.
How to remove a greasy stain from a jacket
Wipe off grease from the surface of the fabric with a tissue before using the product of your choice. Then you can start removing the stain using one of the methods given below.
- Corn or potato starch. Dilute with water to a slurry consistency, apply on dirt, leave for half an hour and remove with a damp cloth.
- Baking soda or baby powder. Sprinkle a fresh stain with baking soda or talcum powder, then shake off and wipe with a tissue.
- Laundry soap. Lather the stain, wipe with a damp sponge and rinse with water.
- Alcohol. Moisten the stain with it and renew the layer until the dirt disappears. The method is not suitable for leather items.
- Chalk. Rub the chalk on a grater, pour the resulting powder over the stain and leave for three hours. Remove residues with water.
How to remove old greasy stains from clothes
Fresh stains are not so difficult to deal with, but old ones can give you a lot of trouble. We've collected the best remedies for stubborn grease stains.
- Salt. Fill a basin with hot water, add half a glass of salt and soak the item for two hours, then wash as usual.
- Ammonia. Mix ammonia with water in a 1: 2 ratio, treat the stain and leave for a couple of hours, then wash with laundry soap.
- Glycerol. Warm up the glycerin and apply a thick layer to the dirt. Remove with gasoline and then wash as usual.
- Laundry soap. You will need that legendary brown scented soap. Lather the dirty area and leave for 2 hours, then wash the item. If the stain persists the first time, repeat the procedure.
- Table vinegar. Saturate the dirt with it, leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse the item in warm water. Repeat the procedure until the product is clean.
How to remove a greasy stain from jeans
Many people wear jeans every day. Therefore, it is not surprising that spots of different origins often appear on them. What if you dripped oil on your jeans?
- Laundry stain remover such as Vanish. Apply to stain, leave on for 15-10 minutes, and wash jeans.
- Dishwashing liquid. Apply a dab of dish soap, such as Fairy, to the stain, add a little water, lather and wipe with a cloth. Then wash as usual.
- Toothpaste. Apply to stain, leave for 30 minutes and machine wash jeans.
- Blotter. It will only help with fresh dirt. Cover the problem area of the fabric with blotting paper on both sides, treat with a hot iron. The paper should absorb grease.
- Ammonia alcohol. Soak a cotton swab in it and treat the stain. Leave it on for a while, then brush off the oily residue and wash as usual.
How to remove greasy stains without washing
Simple home remedies will help you to urgently remove oil stains. Here are the most effective ones.
- Salt. Sprinkle salt on the dirt and rub it into the cloth. Repeat the process every 10-15 minutes until the stain is completely gone.
- Baby powder. Sprinkle over the stain and cover with napkins on both sides of the fabric. Iron the item with a hot iron, then shake off the powder.
- Mustard powder. Used for dark and colored clothes. Mix the powder with warm water and apply on the stain for 40 minutes. Then wash it off.
How to remove greasy stains on a down jacket
A down jacket is a faithful friend who saves in cold and bad weather. If you manage to put a greasy stain on it, use one of our life hacks.
- Lemon juice.Moisten the dirty area with it, leave for 40 minutes, then rinse in cold water. Machine wash the down jacket on the special mode.
- Turpentine. Apply to a cotton pad and wipe the stain. Repeat the procedure until the fabric is clean.
- Detergent for dishes. Pour it over the stain, scrub with a brush and leave it on for half an hour. Then wash the item in warm water.