Table of contents:

Beauty Dictionary: 20 Beauty Terms You Need to Know
Beauty Dictionary: 20 Beauty Terms You Need to Know

The beauty industry is developing at such a speed that sometimes we do not have time to follow the emergence of new words! How does BB-cream differ from CC-and what are “highlighter” and “duofiber”? So that these questions no longer arise, we have compiled a beauty dictionary specially for you from the 20 most common beauty terms.

Beauty Dictionary: 20 Beauty Terms You Need to Know

Beauty vocabulary

Do you know every word on our list of beauty terms? Check yourself!

BB-cream (blemish balm - "balm for imperfections) is a universal remedy that performs several functions at once. First of all, it masks skin imperfections and even fine wrinkles, but at the same time moisturizes and protects from the sun. Interestingly, initially, BB-like creams were used exclusively as medicinal formulations for people who underwent plastic surgery. The texture of the BB cream is denser than that of CC-, but it contains slightly less pigment than, for example, a foundation.

CC creams are a special type of foundation that contains a minimum of pigment. The abbreviation CC itself stands for color correction, that is, "color correction". CC-cream is able to cope with two tasks at once: perfectly moisturize the skin and mask minor imperfections, irregularities, redness.

Buff is a special soft file for polishing nails, which is usually used at the end of a manicure to give the plate a shine and remove irregularities.

A booster gel is a product primarily for fine hair that provides volume. Unlike varnish, the booster does not stick the hair together, it helps the hairstyle to remain "mobile", but at the same time does not have a strong hold. The booster is applied to clean, slightly damp hair and is also suitable for creating root volume.

Glitter (aka shimmer) - speaking simply and in Russian - these are sparkles. Do not confuse glitter with a highlighter - it cannot lighten individual areas, but simply gives the face a shine, not always natural.

Duofiber is a versatile makeup brush. It consists of half natural bristles, half synthetic, due to this it does not absorb too much foundation, beautifully and evenly shades blush, highlighter, applies powder in a thin layer, etc. In a word, a very convenient tool!

Kayal is called not only the mucous part of the eye on the lower eyelid, but also a special soft pencil with which it is brought down. Pencil-kayal can be of any color - black, white, brown, gray … It differs from an ordinary pencil by its softness and antiseptic agents in the composition.

Curler is a special eyelash curler that is used before applying mascara.

Contouring (aka contouring makeup) is a type of make-up, when facial features are modeled with the help of concealers, foundation and highlighter. The nose can be made thinner, the cheekbones sharper, the chin smaller … Contouring is a favorite technique of Kim Kardashian and other stars.

A concealer (also known as a corrector) is a tonal agent that contains the maximum amount of coloring pigment. Thanks to its dense texture, it can hide pimples, bruises under the eyes, redness. In a word, concealer copes with what conventional creams cannot do. It is usually sold as a stick or in small tubes.

Meteorites are blush or powder in the form of balls, the most popular and iconic are produced by the Guerlain brand. Meteorites usually do not give a pronounced shade, giving the skin only a slight glow.

Multi-masks are a new trend in cosmetology, when different products are applied to different areas of the skin. For example, for the T-zone, where the skin is often oily, a drying mask is used, and for the cheeks - a nourishing one.

Patches are face masks or just puffiness stickers under the eyes that stick to the skin.

Plumper is a lip plumper that looks like a regular gloss, but contains irritating ingredients that cause swelling (for example, red pepper or ginger). After application, the plumper causes a slight tingling or burning sensation, and slight swelling of the lips appears.

A make-up base (aka a primer) is needed to protect the skin and help make-up last longer. The primer evens out the skin, even helps to hide enlarged pores, and prolongs the durability of the make-up for several hours. The primer is most often in the form of a cream or gel.

Any make-up remover is called a remover - these are all foams, gels, milk, two-phase lotions, etc., which cleanse the skin of cosmetics. The remover can be used for the whole face or only for the eyes.

Serum, or cosmetic serum, is a preparation with a high concentration of biologically active substances. Unlike regular cream, the serum has a more active effect. The consistency of the serum is liquid, which is why tonal products of this texture are also called serums. Serums are found for a wide variety of purposes - anti-wrinkle, to nourish skin, hair, eyelashes, and more.

Strobing is a special type of make-up, when with the help of a highlighter, separate areas on the face are highlighted (forehead, bridge of the nose, chin, cheekbones). Thus, the effect of a youthful, radiant, glossy skin is achieved.

Highlighter can be crumbly or cream. This is a product for creating a radiance and brightening of specific areas of the skin. Unlike glitter, the highlighter does not contain glitter, but has an even, almost pearlescent surface after application. Most often, highlighters are light or pinkish.

Fiber is used for styling short to medium length hair. It looks like a paste in consistency. The main task of the fiber is to make the hairstyle more structured, highlight individual strands and provide elastic fixation.

What other new words and definitions of beauty have you heard?

Popular by topic