Table of contents:
- Why legs swell: 6 reasons
- How to relieve leg swelling: self-help techniques
- How to relieve fatigue from your feet at home
- Remedies for edema and fatigue of the legs: a review of the best
During walking, the legs take on the main load, so they are susceptible to fluid stagnation, which leads to swelling and discomfort. From this material, you will learn why your legs swell and how to deal with it.
Swelling of the legs is an excess of fluid in the soft tissues. Puffiness is accompanied by a feeling of heaviness and fatigue in the legs, sometimes painful sensations can join them. There are many reasons why the legs are swollen. We have analyzed the most common ones. Contents of the article 1. Why legs swell: 6 reasons 2. How to relieve leg swelling: self-help techniques 2.1 How to get rid of leg swelling? 3. How to relieve leg fatigue at home 4. Remedies for swelling and leg fatigue: a review of the best 4.1 The best ointments for leg fatigue 4.2 The best creams for leg fatigue 4.3 Foot baths for fatigue Hide
Why legs swell: 6 reasons
The appearance of edema can be non-pathological in nature or be a symptom of certain diseases. In the first case, you can cope with the problem on your own, and in the second, you will need the help of a phlebologist.
- Excessive fluid intake. Excess fluid builds up in the soft tissues, causing swelling of the legs in the ankle, lower leg and feet.
- Uncomfortable shoes and high heels are a common cause of leg swelling in women. Improper distribution of the load on the arch of the foot disrupts lymph flow and blood circulation.
- Non-physiological posture, such as cross-legged. If you sit with your legs crossed for a long time, the blood vessels are pinched, which causes stagnation of fluid and, as a result, pain and fatigue in the legs.
- Fast menstruation. A few days before menstruation, many women begin to feel heaviness in the body and note weight gain. It is caused by increased levels of hormones that promote fluid retention.
- Excess weight. Excess body weight increases the load on the legs, as a result of which edema appears.
- Pregnancy. The accumulation of fluid in the amniotic fluid and hormonal changes in the body often cause a pregnant woman to have severe swelling of the legs and other parts of the body.
- Diseases - renal failure, diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, varicose veins and others.
How to relieve leg swelling: self-help techniques
If you experience leg fatigue after work or exercise, you can help yourself effectively. Here is a plan of action to eliminate swelling, pain and fatigue in the legs.
How to get rid of leg swelling?
- The most effective and simplest way is to position your legs so that they are above the level of the heart. If it is not possible to lie down or throw your legs on a dais, change your position, move, walk, do a couple of exercises.
- Puffiness can occur due to a lack of protein in the body. It is worth abandoning strict diets in favor of a balanced diet with sufficient amounts of protein and potassium. Foods high in potassium - nuts, dried fruits, beans, bananas.
- Excessive salt intake can be one of the causes of leg swelling. Try to limit the amount of salty food, fast food, smoked meats.
- Wear comfortable shoes. It shouldn't be too tight or keep your toes in an unnatural position. You do not need to walk in heels for a long time, as well as in flat-soled shoes. The best option that will help prevent swelling of the legs in the ankles and feet is a heel no higher than 5 centimeters. This is especially true for those who spend their working day on their feet.
- Rub in a cream for leg fatigue with components that eliminate puffiness and strengthen blood vessels.
How to relieve fatigue from your feet at home
Learn about the best home remedies for fatigue and leg swelling from our selection.Here are the top 5 best tips.
- Massage your feet with oil or special gel.
- Prepare a foot bath.
- Take a contrast shower.
- Lie down with your feet on the cushion or arm of the sofa.
- Do the bike exercise.
If you can't get rid of leg swelling at home, be sure to consult a doctor. Chronic swelling of soft tissues, especially when accompanied by discoloration of the skin, may indicate the presence of a disease.
Remedies for edema and fatigue of the legs: a review of the best
The best ointments for leg fatigue
Healing ointments for leg fatigue belong to the phlebotonics class. They strengthen veins and capillaries, stimulate blood circulation, and reduce swelling and pain. We present an overview of effective ointments that will help relieve fatigue from the legs at home. Consult your doctor before using the product.
- Lyoton (sodium heparin) is an anticoagulant, prevents the formation of blood clots, has an anti-inflammatory effect. Eliminates not only swelling of the legs, but also hematomas.
- Troxevasin is a flavonoid derived from rutin. Increases the tone of veins and capillaries, strengthens the walls of blood vessels.
- KRKA "Herbion Aesculus". Vegetable gel with horse chestnut and sweet clover extract. Reduces capillary permeability, improves metabolic processes in tissues.
- "Sophia", "Leech extract" gel-cream. It is indicated for varicose veins. Relieves vascular spasm and tissue edema. Improves lymphatic drainage.
- "Home Doctor", balm "Rubbing for feet". Contains powerful anti-edematous ingredients - leech and horse chestnut extract. It is used for thrombophlebitis and varicose veins.
The best creams for leg fatigue
Cosmetic creams for tired legs have not only an anti-edema effect, they moisturize the skin and, unlike pharmaceutical ointments, have a pleasant aroma. Introducing the top 5 creams for foot fatigue.
- Duo Guam Effetto Freddo - quickly relieves pain and fatigue in the legs. Red algae extract helps remove excess fluid, while menthol has a cooling effect.
- Thalgo Défi Légèreté - foot fatigue cream from a well-known brand contains components to tone the veins, stimulates blood circulation. The extract of yellow melilot in the composition regulates lymph circulation.
- Aravia Professional Gel Easy Step - contains cooling extracts of mint and menthol, as well as horse chestnut extract, known for its decongestant action, and rutin, which strengthens the walls of blood vessels.
- Weleda Venodoron - ideal for foot massage, stimulates the flow of blood and lymph. Additionally, it has a moisturizing and softening effect thanks to the extracts of toffee and lemon.
- Yves Rocher Cooling gel to relieve tired legs. Eliminates the feeling of heaviness, has a pleasant cooling effect. Contains lavender and menthol extracts.
Foot baths for fatigue
The foot baths are made from available ingredients, so you can easily use this method at home.
The simplest recipe for a foot bath is with sea salt (if it is not available, table salt is also suitable). Draw a bowl of warm but not hot water, add a handful of salt, and dip your feet into the solution. This foot bath relieves fatigue in 15 minutes. To not only relieve pain and fatigue in your legs, but also to improve your mood, add a few drops of essential oil to the water.
Bath with linden and chamomile
A bath with lime blossom and chamomile will help relieve fatigue in the legs after work. Mix the herbs in a 1: 1 ratio, pour boiling water over and let it brew for 10 minutes. Hold your feet in such a bath for a quarter of an hour - and not a trace of swelling will remain!
Bath with calendula
An excellent relaxing remedy is a foot fatigue bath with calendula. Pour boiling water over a couple of tablespoons of dry herbs for half an hour and add to a bowl of warm water.
In addition to swelling after sports, muscle pain can sometimes be disturbed.Learn how to quickly relieve pain after exercise.