When we buy toys for children, we rarely think about their safety, because the manufacturers have already thought about it. For example, it is not without reason that most of them are marked "3+" if the toy consists of small parts. Nowadays there are almost no life-threatening baby products, but not so long ago there were a lot of them. Here is a list of the most dangerous toys in history.
1. Aqua Dots
This mosaic, the pattern of which needs to be wetted so that the beads stick together, is quite safe at first glance. However, in 2007 it was revealed that the details contained a GHB component - one of the so-called "rape drugs" in which the victim does not remember what happened to her. What have children got to do with it? And despite the fact that when evaluating the taste of the beads, some of them fell into a coma, which forced the manufacturer to recall more than 4.2 million sets sold in the United States.
2. The Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab
Many kids love science experiment kits. The same set, produced in 1950-1951, contained, among other things, a Geiger radiation counter and four types of uranium ore! The times of the peaceful atom gave children the chance to experience radiation for themselves.
3. Magnetic cube
The very case when a toy can harm a curious child over three years old. In 2012, the United States recalled Buckyballs, which are made up of magnetic balls. The reason was the hospitalization of 1,200 children who swallowed magnets.
4. Easy-Bake Oven
This toy stove was so similar to the real one that it even heated the hotplates. This led to burns to his fingers, one girl even had to amputate him. After that, the manufacturing company replaced the heating element with a safe one.
5. Fidget spinner
Yes, yes, the same triangle with bearings that literally everyone was spinning in their hands last year. Bearings tend to fly out of the device, and children enjoy tasting them.
In 1970, metal-tipped darts were banned in the United States and later in Europe. More than 6,000 children are known to have been hospitalized with injuries, three of whom have died.
This type of magnetic kit fell into disgrace in 2007 when one child died and 28 were severely injured after swallowing magnets that fell from plastic parts.
8. Mini hammocks
They were very popular with American children, but were massively withdrawn in 1996. 12 children died of suffocation: the lack of restraints for the sake of a lightweight structure led to the fact that the hammock was simply tied around the child's neck when boarding or standing up.
9. Rollerblade Barbie
The skate barbie had a flaw: if the skate was on a flat, combustible surface, friction caused a flame to form. After several fires, the manufacturer recalled the toy.
10. Sky Dancer
There is a doll on a special pedestal, after turning the key it takes off … in the face. After numerous reports of bruises, scratches, knocked out teeth, corneal injuries and even concussions, the entire batch had to be recalled - more than 8, 9 million pieces.
11. Slip 'n' Slide water slides
This is the kind of toy that is safer for a child than for an adult. Due to the greater mass and height, adults, having rolled on an inflatable slope and falling face down into the pool, injure their neck or break the spine. 8 adults and one teenager with an injury - and the manufacturer had to close this area altogether.
12. Toy pistols
Austin Magic Pistol and Mattel's Belt Buckle Derringer were sold in the USA in the 50s. Both pistols used calcium carbide to shoot ping-pong balls. But if the ball was wet, the water reacted with the carbide - and the toy exploded.
13. Babies from the cabbage patch
These dolls were produced by Mattel, the manufacturer of the famous Barbie. As conceived by the creators, such a baby from a cabbage patch can be fed with special toy food.A powerful mechanism was built into the head of the toys that guided plastic fries and other delicacies inside the doll.
How and why technologists did not think that it was necessary to make a shutdown button for babies-chewers remains a mystery. But the fact turned out to be bitten fingers of children and ripped out hair, which got into the mouth of the toy. After a girl in the United States lost literally part of her scalp on the back of her head, Mattel withdrew its products from stores.