Table of contents:
- How to clean a down jacket at home
- Dry cleaning a down jacket at home: simple stains
- Dry cleaning of a down jacket at home: removing difficult stains
- How to clean a white down jacket at home
- Dry cleaning down jacket with fur hood and inserts
- How to clean a down jacket at home: detailed instructions
- How to clean a down jacket from different types of stains
If you decide to sort out your favorite warm clothes, and stains were found on them and the collar is greasy, do not rush to hand them over to professionals. There is an alternative to dry cleaning: we will tell you how to clean a down jacket at home without washing! Equip yourself with effective life hacks and get ready to welcome the new winter season clean. Contents of the article 1. How to clean a down jacket at home 2. Dry cleaning a down jacket at home: simple stains 3. Dry cleaning a down jacket at home: remove difficult stains 4. How to clean a white down jacket at home 5. Dry cleaning a down jacket with a fur hood and inserts 6. How to clean a down jacket at home: detailed instructions 6.1 Preparatory step 6.2 Choosing a product 6.3 Cleaning a down jacket without washing: useful life hacks 6.4 Unusual method: dry cleaning a down jacket in a washing machine 6.5 How to dry a down jacket? 6.6 How to clean a down jacket without streaks? 7. How to clean a down jacket from different types of stains 7.1 Traces from decorative cosmetics 7.2 Oily stains 7.3 How to clean greasy spots on a down jacket? Hide
The need to clean a down jacket with your own hands is especially relevant in summer, when there is still a lot of time before the onset of the winter season and you can prepare things in advance and store them carefully. In autumn and winter, there will be no time for that: a warm thing is used almost every day and most likely there will be no time to put it in order.
In winter, regardless of color and material, the down jacket gets dirty quickly enough in urban conditions: dust, splashes of dirt, particles of salt reagents, dirt in public transport, drips from precipitation remain on the surface of the material. Therefore, it is important to know how to clean a down jacket without washing, so that it always looks neat and does not wear out. Dry cleaning is good because it does not depend on the type of filler of the down jacket, since the effect of cleaning agents affects only the top layer of the product.
You can return the down jacket to its cleanliness and presentable appearance in the ways described below. There are many of them, so in any case you will choose something to your liking and you can clean your favorite down jacket without washing, without leaving your home.
How to clean a down jacket at home
Dry cleaning a down jacket can easily replace a wet wash, since in many cases the item has a complex composition and can simply deform when wet. In order to make the product look good and quickly but effectively get rid of stains, first identify the most problematic areas. This is usually the collar, sleeves, pockets and the bottom of the down jacket, which can get dirt droplets when walking.
Before you clean the down jacket from grease and immediately wash large areas, try the product you are going to use to remove dirt on the seamy side of the product so as not to spoil the material. Also, try not to rub the fabric with your hands or coarse brushes. Apply all cleaning compounds to the down jacket with a sponge or cotton pad, and the excess can be washed off with a soft, damp microfiber cloth, absorbent cloth or wet wipes.
Dry cleaning a down jacket at home: simple stains
There is a universal remedy that will help remove greasy spots from particularly vulnerable places and clean the collar of a down jacket well. It consists of ammonia, dish detergent and regular fresh water. This method is suitable for cleaning the down jacket from relatively recent stains of medium difficulty, the material of the down jacket can be of any color, as well as in order to regularly refresh problem areas such as sleeves, collars and cuffs when worn.
To prepare a miracle cure, you need to do the following:
- Add in half a glass of water (100 ml) about 1 teaspoon of ammonia and the same amount of dishwashing gel.
- Before applying the solution, steam the problem areas a little to prepare the material for cleaning.
- Apply the solution with a sponge and rub a little over the dirt.
- If necessary, repeat the procedure 2-3 times and leave the solution for 30 minutes.
After removing the remnants of the product with napkins and slightly moisten the places with a damp cloth. Remember, to clean a greasy down jacket, you do not need to wash it!
Dry cleaning of a down jacket at home: removing difficult stains
You can clean the collar of a down jacket at home and get rid of the most difficult dirt with gasoline. You will need aviation gasoline, which can be purchased from the business department. It is highly volatile, does not contain impurities in its composition and, unlike motor gasoline, will help you to effectively deal with stains.
To clean the down jacket at home, the following measures must be followed:
- Observe safety precautions and apply gasoline to the down jacket away from open fire, gas stove and lighted cigarettes.
- Before cleaning the down jacket, steam off the dirt.
- Apply gasoline with a cotton pad to the material of the down jacket with dabbing movements and not three cloth.
- Secure the cleaning with a pinch of salt, starch or flour, gently rubbing into the surface of the stain.
- Then go over the dirt with a soft-bristled brush and remove excess with wet wipes.
How to clean a white down jacket at home
Cleaning a down jacket without washing, especially when it is white, is not an easy task, since the process requires great delicacy. Regardless of the material of the product, it is always difficult to clean such a down jacket, especially when it comes to yellowish stains. Such stains are associated with uneven drying after machine washing or exposure to weather. By the way, you will probably need some information on how to clean your white sneakers.
Use laundry soap, stain remover, hydrogen peroxide, or lemon juice to clean your white down jacket.
Laundry soap or hydrogen peroxide will help remove stains from a white down jacket.
Use laundry soap, stain remover, hydrogen peroxide, or lemon juice to clean your white down jacket.
- Start from the hardest places. To clean the sleeves of the down jacket, as well as the collar, pockets and cuffs, rub laundry soap into the places of contamination, leave for 30-40 minutes, and then wipe off the remnants of the product with a damp cloth or napkins.
- You can also clean a greasy down jacket and remove stains from light-colored fabrics with a stain remover: just apply the product to the stain according to the instructions on the package, wait for the specified time and then wipe the material with a napkin.
- How to clean the collar of a down jacket from grease? Add 3 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to a glass of warm water and apply the solution to the problem area with a cotton pad. For best results, you can rub the stain with an old toothbrush. Then moisten the filigree with lemon juice, let it sit for 20 minutes and pat it dry with wet wipes.
Dry cleaning down jacket with fur hood and inserts
If you need to completely clean your down jacket, but it contains parts from different materials, try using an ordinary mirror and glass cleaner!
To clean the down jacket at home, simply spray glass cleaner from a short distance onto the down jacket, and remove the excess with napkins or a microfiber cloth.
This method is especially successful in cleaning down jackets made of lacquered and glossy fabric, carefully removing smudges, as well as cleaning the greasy collar of the down jacket and removing other stubborn stains.
How to clean a down jacket at home: detailed instructions
Before you clean your down jacket, you need to do a little preparation. To do this, unfasten all removable elements (hood, fur trim, lining, belt). Empty your pockets, fasten all zippers and other fasteners and hang the down jacket on a hanger or spread it out on a flat horizontal surface.
Choosing a remedy
- Look at the label on the inside of the product for care instructions and material type. In accordance with this, choose the right product: it can be both professional and homemade.
- If you use a special spray, it must be sprayed onto a dry (in some cases slightly damp) cloth and left for the time indicated in the instructions, and then wiped off with a damp sponge.
- When using powder or paste to clean the material, rub the product into the stains with a soft brush, then shake off or wipe with a damp cloth.
- Also, to remove local contamination, you can use a liquid product, for example, in a gel format. Apply it to greasy areas, rub with a brush and remove with a damp sponge.
- You can clean the down jacket yourself with the help of available tools: salt with starch, ammonia and even a glass cleaner. A solution of a tablespoon of vinegar in half a liter of water with the addition of a teaspoon of salt will help get rid of greasy stains. Be sure to test this product on the wrong side of the down jacket before using.
- If you need to remove makeup marks from your down jacket, use a dye-free makeup remover.
- Fresh greasy stains can be easily removed with talcum powder. Pour it over the dirt and cover it with a heavy object. Leave it like this for half an hour, and then shake off the powder.
You can clean the down jacket using special or folk remedies.
Cleaning a down jacket without washing: useful life hacks
1. To clean the down jacket, do not use a brush that is too hard; a medium-hard nap will be enough. At the same time, do not be too zealous in friction, so as not to damage the material of the outerwear.
2. Before you clean the down jacket, check the selected product on an inconspicuous area of the fabric from the inside out.
3. Do not use chlorine-containing stain removers and products with hydrogen peroxide to clean the down jacket.
4. Even if you need to rinse off the cleaning agent, do not use too much water to prevent the fluff from clumping.
5. Clean the down jacket only with protective gloves.
Unusual method: dry cleaning the down jacket in the washing machine
Some parts of the garment require more maintenance than others, for example, the collar of a down jacket is easier to clean without washing if you regularly care for it. If the product gets dirty at the bottom or somewhere on the back, but the dirt is superficial, try to clean it in a washing machine without using water. To do this, you will need wet household wipes soaked in a cleaning compound and a clothes bag in which you can put a down jacket. Put the product in a mesh bag, send a few napkins there and "scroll" in the typewriter on the drying mode for half an hour. To prevent the fluff from falling off, throw a couple of tennis balls into the drum.
How to dry a down jacket?
After using special or folk remedies, the down jacket must be completely dried. It is strongly not recommended to try to speed up this process by placing the product near heating appliances or in the sun. Instead, hang your jacket on a hanger and sushi in a well-ventilated area. Also, learn how to whip up the down in a down jacket after washing.
You can only put the down jacket in the closet when it is completely dry.
How to clean a down jacket without streaks?
If stains appear on the material during the cleaning process, take a spray bottle, fill it with plain water and spray on the stains. Wipe off any moisture immediately with a dry cloth or tissue.
How to clean a down jacket from different types of stains
As we said, makeup can be washed off with a makeup remover.If you cannot find one at hand, use a cloth soaked in ordinary soapy water. 3% hydrogen peroxide will help to clean bright lipstick from a white down jacket. Make-up from jackets of any color can be used with soda, toothpaste or brown.
You can wash lipstick from a white down jacket with hydrogen peroxide
Do not know how to clean the down jacket from greasy stains? Try dishwashing detergent, mustard, laundry soap, or chalk to remove greasy marks.
Dilute the mustard powder with a small amount of warm water to the consistency of a paste, apply on the stain and leave for half an hour, then wipe off the product with a damp cloth.
Grease stains can also be easily removed with salt or baking soda, which must be left on the fabric for 15 minutes, then rubbed lightly with a brush and wiped off with a damp cloth.
Laundry soap must be grated and put directly on the greasy marks on the down jacket. The soap absorbs grease and must then be brushed off.
How to clean greasy spots on a down jacket?
Down jackets are most likely to get dirty at the cuffs, collar and pockets - the places that most often come into contact with the skin. You can clean the down jacket from stains and get rid of shiny marks by covering them with talcum powder, grated chalk or starch, rub in and shake off. These substances absorb light pollution.
For heavily salted areas, a solution of a teaspoon of ammonia, the same amount of dishwashing liquid and 100 ml of warm water is suitable. Apply the resulting lather to stains and leave on for 10 minutes, then wipe off with a clean sponge, cloth or tissue. This solution can be replaced with a glass cleaner that also contains ammonia.